Saturday, February 24, 2007

Thank you and good morning!

Thank you so much Karen and Laurie for leaving such encouraging comments and helpful to!! Oh and a good morning to all! :c)

I woke up this morning to some nice hot coffee and my Fiance starting breakfast, I had him ditch on the breakfast though and we sat over coffee and talked. Boy that's nice, I swear with school, kids and animals we never seem to do that often.

Last night my youngest daughter (6) got off my bed and my beloved dog Kodiak (10 1/2) yelped out and I thought maybe she landed on his paw, but then my Fiance said he had done that the other night when she just got near him...that was odd and I figured I better check him out, although he seemed fine and he's one of those dogs that does nothing, literally, he just lays at me feet and you'd think he was stuffed. So about an hour later my oldest daughter's (16) friend comes over to stay the night and she was petting him and he yelped out again when she touched his shoulder.. Of course my daughter came to tell me right away and I knew something must be wrong. :c(

So I come out of the family room into the front living room and call him over.. Kodiak gets "hot spots"...he has flea dermatitis, skin allergies and can lick hot spots if he's stressed which not always that hard to do, he's always worrying and trying to herd the kids, he is part Aussie after all... Anyway, I knew he had a rather hot spot on on his upper front left leg but it had been healing nicely...At least I thought it was.. In 10 1/2 years they have ALL healed great, we make sure to clean them out and give him a bath with special soap to help... Well this one hasn't I guess but its not presenting like a regular infection. There is no real swelling, no extra heat coming from the area, it doesn't appear abscessed...so of course I'm panicking. He's my buddy, he came to me at a time when I didn't have any one else, he went through my divorce with me, we've had some hard times together and thank goodness some very good ones, so I'm totally upset all night and kept checking on him through the night. So I get up and call the vet this morning and they can't get him in until Monday, so me being all panicky I asked them if they thought he live until then! LOL Ummm yea, he probably will, but that sure won't keep me from worrying at least a year off my life.... SO as dumb as this sounds, IF anyone reads this, please keep my buddy in your thoughts, there would never be a way I could convey how important Kodiak is to me, how close we are, if I didn't have my Fiance I would say he was my best friend and soul mate!! It's just heart breaking to see the pain in his eyes and see him flinch if he even thinks you going to touch that shoulder.. :c(

As for knitting, I worked on my second trekking sock for a few rows last night. I'm past the gusset working on the foot part and so far the ladders look less than the first one which made me really happy. And this afternoon we are going to my aunts for dinner and visiting and I can take it with me to work on, knitting, coffee, visiting and dinner...what a perfect day!!! (except for my doggy of course)...

For now though I better do some studying before we leave. I hope everyone out there has a great Sat day!!!

April in SC

3 comments:

April in SC said...

Thank you so much for the prayerful thoughts! Here is the link that I was sending the thank you for, although its not on Circs: http://home.earthlink.net/~bruxknits/pats/BasicSockChart.pdf

As for Circ here is a website that shows how to do it, I haven't tried it yet, I don't have long enough Circs, but I will do it one day, anyway, here is the website: http://www.socknitters.com/toe-up/index.htm
Good Luck and let me know how they turn out and if you have a blog!!

Carrie Penny said...

Hey! I also live in SC, transplanted as a kid, but I have fallen in love with the lower part of the state...

I am not sure what has happened to the dogs here recently, but yours isn't the first older dog that has been having problems of late. My husbands Lab has had open sores just popping up for the last month, they are healing quickly, but they are a mystery, she only goes in the back yard...I will keep yours in my prayers also...

April in SC said...

Aww Carrie, I sure hope your baby is okay!! I know that my Kodiak gets his sores from flea dermatitis and skin allergies. Dogs usually present "our" kind of allergies through their skin..I'm not sure if it can hit at any time but I know my allergies have been unusually horribly this winter, maybe he has developed some to? They have medicated shampoo at walmart that has always worked pretty well for us.. Has he been licking at the sores to cause them or are they just popping up?

We've only lived down here (Aiken area) for 4 years this summer, we transplanted from Alaska and are awaiting my parents moving down as well. I love it compared to the cold of up there! Today we had 65, today they had -10...can't beat that with a stick!! LOL

Let me know how your Lab is, I sure hope he is getting better!