Friday, February 23, 2007

Lornas Laces..







Well, since I'm on a role today with actually getting a blog post up, I thought I would ask my LL Question....Should I or should I not use a pattern with this yarn?? It's Lornas Lace Bucks Bar #142. So should I do just a vanilla sock or a pattern and if a pattern what do all you experts think would be a good pattern??

I can't believe how excited and nervous I am to actually knit with this stuff, and honestly if I don't do something soon it will be worn out from just rubbing it!! LOL


In all my life I've only found knitting to be my bane on life..I love it so much, yet, its the only thing I've done that I can never make up my mind on and its one of the only things in my life I have such a fear of messing up..which is super dumb I know! I mean after all, its my knitting, its what I like to do and who cares what others think right?? (unless its for them anyway..lol) So why all this anxiety about making sure I pick the right pattern for the colors/yarn? I have no idea, but I've never seen myself as a very imaginative person, so mixing colors really isn't my thang. Maybe that will change as I do/learn more.. I guess on thinking about it, I do have a few reasons why I'm such a worry-wort over it:


1) I don't have much money to spend on yarn, so in buying I not only have to be very selective and know what my projects are going to be, but if I mess it up to badly that project may have to be put on the back burner until I can get more yarn if I've frogged it to death.



2) I've never been a color person, I have always stayed on the conservative side, most knitters aren't like that, and now that I am one I find that I'm blooming as much as the beautiful yarns I've knit with, but I'm still insecure about my choices and don't feel confidant at all about color-ways and such.


3) I'm not patient...there I said it! Now with that said I'll explain a little. I'm very patient when it comes to knitting, I'm perfectly content to do each row, take my time and enjoy all the process's that come with knitting, but I'm not very patient when it comes to having to pick the yarn and the pattern, I'm nervous, not confidant, and just want to actually get to the point of casting on and knitting and sure as heck on my budget don't want to make a mistake...


So with those three reasons stated, I will do my best to work on them.....after I get help with this pattern/yarn issue.. ;c)

Thanks everyone!!!


April in SC




5 comments:

KarenK said...

That's a beautiful colorway of Lorna's Laces! I think I would recommend either a ribbed sock or a sock with a knit-purl pattern, like a waffle stitch. You can expect some pooling, and the socks will be different, that's the nature of the beast with hand-dyed yarns. But if you wind the yarn into two balls and work alternate rounds (working one sock with two balls by using one ball for one round, then switching to the next ball for the next round), that will break up the color pooling. Unless color pooling doesn't bother you.

Laurie said...

I LOVE knitting with Lorna's Laces, but I also have found that if you are going to knit in a pattern, the pattern better have a LOT of stretch to it since the yarn does not. I have done the plain old K2P2 ribbing and I have done other loose stretchy ribbings with LL yarn (like a mock cable stitch) and they turned out fine. I tried making the Jaywalkers socks with LL and it was a complete disaster.

It's ok to worry about the patterns and the yarn. After you get some experience under your belt, you will gain the confidence. I have knit socks for a few years and I have some really yummy yarns that are sitting in a plastic ziplock baggie waiting for the right pattern to show itself. I also have picked up yarn and known exactly what pattern I would use with the colors. Also, if you see a pattern you like, don't be afraid to ask you LYS about what yarns would work best with it! You can tell them about your color experience and what you like and don't like about knitting and they will also be able to steer you in the right direction for some good yarns and maybe a color choice you may not have thought about!

I can understand your quandry. I am a very left brained person (engineer) and love to claim I have no creativity and not a single artistic bone in my body. As I have knit more things, made some mistakes and some wonderful discoveries that started as mistakes, I have gained confidence in my abilities to pair up yarn with patterns (or making something up from a "stitch pattern" book). Have fun!

Anonymous said...

Look at that eye candy! I love Lorna's Laces.

April in SC said...

NancyMaria, I can't wait to knit with this! It will be my first time and I just keep rubbing on it! Just as soon as I get my swatch done on my size 1's or my 0's if I get my second trekking done I will have my first pair of socks with it! Yippy!!
Course I'm still debating on the pattern, but I'm sure once I'm ready it will all come to me. :c)

April in SC said...

Bonne! Another great person in SC! I so haven't started on any socks with my LL yet, and I thank you SO much for letting me know! I really wanted to do the Monkey socks but wasn't sure how they would look, now that I know I will give it a try, as soon as I figure out how to do the pattern at 11 SPI..LOL..

Thanks again for stopping by and letting me know about the pattern, I've just been rubbing on this yarn waiting for a pattern to call out to me! :c)

April in SC